Monday 25 April 2011

A Poem That I Like

Here's a great one from William Blake on hatred, one of the "Three Poisons" in Buddhism. It is symbolised by a snake, which is rather appropriate when you read the poem.

Hatred is intense dislike, hostility and aversion for others and things. You feel someone has done you wrong in some way. You can't let go of the feeling. You'd rather ruin everything in your life because this illusion has you in its grip. Hatred is a blind rage that smolders or flares up without virtue. It rears itself within your mind in a blind fashion. It causes you to speak and act in non-virtuous ways.

A Poison Tree

I was angry with my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow. 

And I watered it in fears,
Night and morning with my tears;
And I sunned it with smiles,
And with soft deceitful wiles.

And it grew both day and night,
Till it bore an apple bright.
And my foe beheld it shine.
And he knew that it was mine,

And into my garden stole
When the night had veiled the pole;
In the morning glad I see
My foe outstretched beneath the tree.

William Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment